Civil War Buff

      The Civil War in Arkansas

   Home     What's New     Search     People     Places     Units     Groups     Forum     Books     Calendar     About Us

 

 

Civil War Round Table of Arkansas

Promote Your Page Too

 
Newsletter Archive - We have left these online because they contain valuable articles. For the most up-to-date Civil War Roundtable of Arkansas Newsletter please use the Newsletter button in the Menu. 

 


     
    VOL. XXXX, No. 06, JUNE 2004/FOR THE MEETING TUESDAY, JUNE 22
    Our 40th Year 
    Meets Fourth Tuesday, January-November/Founded March 1964 
    Fletcher Branch Library, H & Buchanan (East of University Ave.), 
    Little Rock 
    Program at 7 p.m. 
    Online:  www.civilwarbuff.org
    Brian Brown, President  /  Charles O. Durnett, Editor, 
    Dues $15 Per Year VISITORS WELCOME! 
    VISIT THE BATTLEFIELDS WHEN YOU CAN...WHILE YOU CAN



    "Yankee Bullets, Southern Blood:
    The Remarkable Journal Of Dr. Henry M. Dye,
    Confederate Surgeon"
    by
    Dr. Bill Gurley, Jr 



     Many of you may remember that Dr. Bill J. Gurley spoke to us in 2002, on his first book  "I Acted from Principle:" William Marcellus McPheeters, M.D., Confederate Surgeon in the Trans-Mississippi Theatre.

    Or perhaps you heard him speak at the SCV ceremony in Helena on the reburial of the Fagan Six earlier this year. If you have heard him before then you remember that he is a dynamic and passionate speaker on things to do with the Civil War. If you have not hear him before then you are in for a real treat.

    This year Bill will preview his new book "Yankee Bullets, Southern Blood.” It is a transcription and annotation of the medical casebook of Dr. Henry M. Dye. Dr. Dye was a surgeon from Plano, Texas that served in Arkansas from 1862 until the war's end. His descriptions of medical facilities in Little Rock and other parts of Arkansas are one of the few that exist. 

    The majority of the original journal is comprised of detailed descriptions of patients that Dye treated while serving in various hospitals throughout the state. The most remarkable are those from the hospital at Princeton, AR following the Battle of Jenkins' Ferry. 

    Not only does Dye identify each patient as to name, rank, and unit affiliation, but also he provides detailed anatomical descriptions of the wounds and how they were.He also draws pictures of each case. Many of the pictures are quite detailed, and the originals were even in color. 

    Some of the methods Dye used were well ahead of their time. The journal sheds new light on the practice of medicine in the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department and dispels the idea that all Civil War surgeons were merely glorified butchers. 

    Dye practiced state-of-the-art medicine and approached his profession from a perspective as physician/scientist; something the typical Civil War scholar wouldn't expect from surgeons serving in the backwaters of the Trans-Mississippi Dept.

    Bill is a Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences, with the College of Pharmacy  at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock.

    This year he received the UAMS  Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Most Outstanding Faculty Award. A 1989 graduate of the University of Tennessee,  Memphis, with a Doctorate in Pharmaceutics; he has numerous publications related to his field of study.

    He lives in Little Rock with his wife and two children (Patrick and Rachel).


    We Who Study

    Must Also Strive To Save!



      FORT MACON RAMPARTS
    A publication of the Friends of Fort Macon
    Volume XI Issue 1 Spring 2004


    OUTSIDE THE WALLS
    by Paul Branch, Ranger/Historian

    Of all the buildings and structures which once comprised the Fort Macon military' reservation, the only ones still standing today are the fort itself and a brick water cistern outside its walls. Yet while it was in use during the 19th century, the Post of Fort Macon was a small military city that, in addition to the fort itself, was comprised of many other supporting structures which are no longer standing today. What were these structures? Where were they located and what did they look like? This article is part of a series that will examine the various components of the Post of Fort Macon.

    The Post Hospital
    Prior to the War Between the States, Fort Macon's hospital was located in one of the fort casemates. Requests for a separate hospital building outside the fort finally resulted in permission being granted by the Quartermaster Department in August, 1843, for the fort commander, Captain William Wall, to construct a one-story building with two 20-foot by 24-foot wards separated by a hall eight to ten feet wide. The allowance of $1000 to build the structure proved insufficient and construction was postponed. By the outbreak of the War Between the States, the hospital still had not been built. Confederate soldiers established a post hospital after seizing the fort in April, 1861. It probably was in one of the old buildings outside the fort which were formerly used as officers quarters. Later a separate hospital building seems to have been built since an inspection report in July, 1861, noted .  'Hospital going up now'. The following year it became necessary to reestablish the hospital in the safety of one of the fort casemates on March 24, 1862, after Union forces besieged the fort. The new hospital building was apparently one of the outbuildings burned by the garrison at the beginning of the siege to clear the field of fire.

    Later in the war after the fort's capture, Union soldiers established their own post hospital about 250 yards southwest of the fort on a sand dune. It was a flimsy wooden Tshaped building that had been floated over from Morehead City in sections. The front of the building was 52 feet long by fourteen feet wide, with a six-foot wide porch and veranda. The body of the 'T' was fifty feet long by 22 feet wide, containing a 12-bed ward. During its nearly ten years of use, the building was never substantial and soon had its foundations settling in the loose sand. In 1870, Assistant Surgeon Elliott Coues (famous 19th century ornithologist and naturalist), who was the post medical officer described the building:

    "The hospital is a disgrace to the service. . . the foundations have given away in all directions, and the building has settled unevenly in the sand; the flooring presents a rolling surface, gaping here and there, the walls bulge outward and roof sags inward; none of the doors or windows can be closed tightly, the former have broken locks and hinges, or none at all; many of the window lights are unglazed; the wind and rain are freely admitted through openings in the roof and walls . . .The door leading to the porch has been nailed up, as the latter has gone to pieces . . . the veranda in front will shortly follow."

    One fort commander. Captain G. M. Brayton, reported that "unless a man is very sick it is better to keep him in the quarters, poor, confined and uncomfortable as they are, than to send him to such a place." Another, Major Joseph Stewart, felt the hospital to be "such a building as no humane man would wish to use for his horses."

    At last, in 1871 the Quartermaster Department ordered a new hospital to be built according to a standard plan adopted in 1867 by the Surgeon General's Office. The building was begun in September, 1871, but due to various changes and delays was not completed until August, 1872. Even then, a dispute took place between the Army and the contractors over changes made from the original specifications that delayed the formal acceptance of the building for months. It was finally accepted by the Army in 1873. The new hospital was a fine facility located about 125 yards southwest from the southwest angle of the fort. It had a two-story administration building 33 feet long by 34 feet wide, containing rooms for storage, offices, dispensary, kitchen and dining area, dead room, and so forth. Attached on its west side was a wing 44 feet long by 24 feet wide containing a 12- bed ward and wash rooms. A 12-foot wide porch and veranda extended around the entire structure. According to one inspection report, the building cost $10,000. The new hospital was used only a few years. In 1877, the fort garrison was withdrawn at the end of Reconstruction and only an ordnance sergeant acting as a caretaker remained at the post until 1898. During this time, the hospital mostly sat vacant. As such it began to decay rapidly. The building and its foundations were further damaged in the hurricane of August 18, 1879. In 1890, the ordnance sergeant reported all the post building in a very bad condition.

    "The piazzas . . . around the Hospital are so much decayed as to make it dangerous to walk on them." Presumably, the hospital was used again during the Spanish- American War occupation of the fort. In 1903, however, an inspector reported that the hospital and most of the other buildings outside the fort "are badly decayed and are gradually falling to pieces, and are probably not worthy of repairs." In December, 1903, the Army withdrew the ordnance sergeant at Fort Macon and formally abandoned it. On March 9, 1904, the Engineer Department auctioned off most of the old buildings. The post hospital brought a total of $210 at the auction. The building was either removed from the reservation or dismantled for its materials.

    TO JOIN
    FRIENDS OF FORT MACON
    Post Office Box 651
    Beaufort, NC 28516-0651
    Email: friends@clis.com
    Visit us at: http://www.clis.com/friends

    With the completion of the Fort restoration, our long term goal is the development of a Coastal Education and Visitor Center for Fort Macon State Park. The design of the Visitor Center has already been approved. However, until the present N.C. state financial difficulties are resolved, the project will be on hold. In the meantime we have embarked on raising funds to build an authentic 19th century officer.s house on the site of the original dwelling. We invite you to support this most worthwile activity by joining the Friends of Fort Macon.
     
     PROGRAMS FOR 2004

    July 27, 2004 --
    Gaylord Northrop, Sherwood,
    ”Command & Control in Confederate Arkansas“ 

    August 24, 2004 --
    Supt. Ralph Jones, Fort Gibson, Okla.,
    ”The Battle of Honey Springs“ 

    September 28, 2004 --
    Don Montgomery, Historical Interpreter, Prairie Grove Battlefield. The Biennial Reenactment  

    October 26, 2004 --
    Our Annual joint meeting with the North Pulaski Roundtable to hear Mark L. Cantrell, historian, of El Reno, OK 

    November 23, 2004 --
    Drew Hodges, speaking on “A. P. Hill” 
    Election of Officers 

    December, 2004 –
     No meeting Scheduled in December

    January 25, 2005 – TBA
     
    February 22,  2005 - TBA

    March 22, 2005 - TBA

    April 26, 2004 –
    Tom Ezell,   Jenkin's Ferry

    May 24, 2004 - TBA
     


    [LITTLE ROCK] ARKANSAS DAILY TRUE DEMOCRAT, March 12, 1861,

     We copy from the South Western Democrat resolutions passed by the general council of the Choctaw Nation.  We are glad to see our neighbors taking such a bold and manly position, and think that some of our own people might learn a lesson from them.  The message of James Hudson, the principal chief, is an able paper, and we regret that we have not space to republish it.  It takes the position boldly and unequivocally that in the event of a dissolution of the Union the Choctaw Nation will go with the southern States.
    — Read the resolutions below.  From the South Western Democrat.

    Resolutions.
    Expressing the feelings and sentiments of the General Council of the Choctaw Nation, in reference to the political disagreement existing between the northern and southern States of the American Union.

    Resolved by the General Council of the Choctaw Nation, assembled, That we view with deep regret and great solicitude, the present unhappy political disagreement between the northern and southern States of the American Union, tending to a permanent dissolution of the government, and the disturbance of the various important relations existing with that government, by treaty, stipulations and international laws, protending [portending?] much injury to the Choctaw government and people.

    Resolved, further, that we express the earnest desire and ready hope entertained by the entire Choctaw people, that any and all political disturbances agitating and dividing the people of the various States may be honorably and speedily adjusted; and the example and the blessing, and fostering care of the general government, and the many and friendly social ties existing with their people, continue for the enlightenment in moral and good government; and prosperity in the material concerns of life, to our whole population.

    Resolved, further, That in the event of a permanent dissolution of the American Union takes place, our many relations with the general government must cease, and we shall be left to follow the natural affections, education, institutions, and interest of our people, which indissolubly (sic) bind us in every way to the destiny of our neighbors, and brethren of the southern states; upon whom we are confident we can rely for the preservation of our rights, of liberty and property, continuance of friendship, general counsel and fraternal support.

    Resolved, further, That we desire to assure our immediate neighbors, the people of Arkansas and Texas, of our determination to observe amicable relations in every way so long existing between us, and the firm reliance we have, that amid any disturbance with other States, the rights and feelings so sacred to us will remain respected by them, and be protected from the encroachment of others.

    Resolved, further, That his excellency, the principal chief, be requested to enclose, with an appropriate communication from himself, a copy of these resolutions to the Governors of the southern States, with the request that they be laid before the State convention of each State, as many as have assembled at the date of their reception; and that in such as have not, they be published in the newspapers of the State.

    Further enacted, That these resolutions take effect, and be in force from and after their passage.

    Approved Feb. 7th, 1861.

    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
     FOUND

    A hand written list of members has been uncovered. Below is the list of Charter and first year members for the Civil War Roundtable of Arkansas.

    For the year 1964-65:

    Jerry Russell
    Ken Watkins
    J. F. Meehan
    Cal Collier
    W. M. Hackett
    Louis Cohen
    S. W. Van Zandt
    Charlie Butler
    Ben C. Isgrig, Jr.
    Joseph C. Avery
    Henry S. Avery
    John H. Harp
    Gene McCoy
    William Brodnax
    Ben L. Clark
    E. H. Leaming
    Ellis Doyle Herron
    Greer Lile
    James A. Pattillo
    Bill Furguson
    Ed Chesnutt
    G. W. Blankenship
    William L. Terry

    Added to the list for the 1965-66 year were:

    Ed Cordor
    W. W. O’Donnell
    Fredrick Hotye
    Doyle Herron
    John McGowern

    New members for the 1966-67 Year were:

    Bob Naylor
    Morton Silfen

    From meeting in someone’s home to the Fletcher Library, we continue to grow.

     

     

    The Gen. Robert C. Newton Camp, #197, Sons of Confederate Veterans join the United Daughters of the Confederacy in the rededication of the Capital Guard Memorial in Little Rock. The Newton Camp was a driving force in the original construction of the monument in 1911 and dedicated during the United Confederate Veterans Reunion in Little Rock. (Pictured is l-r, Adjutant Mike Loum, Compatriot Tom Ezell, Susan Railsback State President United Daughters of the Confederacy, and Robert Giles 1ST Lt. Commander.)

     
    THE CAPITAL GUARD

    Dedicated in 1911 during the United Confederate Veterans Reunion, the Capital Guard memorial honors the local militia unit which participated in the seizure of the Arsenal in February 1861 and later fought as Company A of the 6TH Arkansas Infantry during the Civil War.

    For over ninety years, the Capital Guard has stood watch over MacArthur Park. The memorial is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and recently underwent significant conservation to repair decades of deterioration. It was rededicated on Saturday, May 15, as the MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History celebrates the historic return of the Capital Guard memorial to Little Rock.



    Visit
    www.civilwarbuff.org

    Register to receive your newsletter on-line.


    **********************************
    Civil War -Histories-Battles-People-Current Events
    PLACES of  interest
    Searchable Chronology Database
    DISPATCHES Current Info-Monthly Newsletter
    LINKS major historical and preservation source 
    RESOURCE for historical Civil War information
    GROUPS list contacts for today's information
    PEOPLE of history
    http://www.civilwarbuff.org
    ****************************************
    We Who Study Must Also Strive To Save!


    SEE YOU TUESDAY NIGHT

    for Bill Gurley and
    the Journal of Henry M. Dye

    GOD BLESS AMERICA