Civil War Buff

      The Civil War in Arkansas

   Home     What's New     Search     People     Places     Units     Groups     Forum     Books     Calendar     About Us

 

 

Civil War Round Table of Arkansas

Promote Your Page Too

 

Civil War Links - Organizations

 
The Sons of Confederate Veterans were founded in 1896. The first camp in Arkansas was formed in the inaugural year at Clarksville and named the Hall S. McConnell Camp #111. The initial roster of Arkansas camps included Jefferson Camp #134 in Pine Bluff, William E. Moore Camp #194 in Helena, David O. Dodd Camp #147 of Austin, W.W. Meriweather Camp #188 of Paragould, J. R. Norfleet Camp #194 of Forrest City, and Robert C. Newton Camp #197 in the capitol city, which is the only remaining original camp.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy was the outgrowth of consolidating benevolent organizations and auxiliaries of United Confederate Veterans Camps, which were formed after the Civil War. On September 10, 1894, Anna Davenport Raines of Georgia and Caroline Meriwether Goodlet of Tennessee met in Nashville, Tennessee, to draw together these groups under the name the National Association of the Daughters of the Confederacy, with Goodlet as president. At a second meeting in 1895, the name was changed to the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and Mrs. John C. Brown became the first president-general of the modern organization.  Many of the Arkansas Civil War memorials are due to the women of the UDC.

For all his courage, his sterling character, and selfless commitment to his cause, Patrick Cleburne has not received the commemoration his career and personal bravery deserve. The Patrick Cleburne Society was founded in 1998 to perpetuate his memory through events and seminars commemorating his life and accomplishments. Arguably the best Confederate general in the Army of Tennessee, Cleburne remains virtually unknown to most Americans and many Southerners. Through the Patrick Cleburne Society, we hope to rectify this oversight, and preserve for future generations not only the battlefields where Cleburne’s Division won immortality, but the story of the man who led it.
 

General Robert C. Newton Camp #197 of Little Rock Founded in October, 1901, the General Robert C. Newton Camp # 197 of Little Rock, Arkansas, is the oldest continually active camp of the Arkansas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans, as well as the oldest continually active camp west of the Mississippi River.

Union veterans of the Civil War organized into the Grand Army of the Republic and became a social and political force that would control the destiny of the nation for more than six decades. Membership was restricted to men who had actually served in the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Revenue Cutter Service during the Civil War, thereby limiting the life span of the G.A.R.