It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: David O. Dodd Biography
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:53 pm 

Posted by Anthony Rushing (aconfed@aol.com) on June 29, 2001 at 09:40:31:

In Reply to: Re: David O. Dodd Biography posted by Durnette on June 28, 2001 at 14:31:23:

Yes there is information on him at this site but it also has some misinformation regarding incidents in his life. I think I addressed these to Jim. I do not intend any unjust "slamming" of the article on this site. I did send in corrections years ago when it was first put on the site but the mistakes were not addressed. I don't know why! Just an example or two.

The info talks about DAvid's mother and sister Senorah but it does not mention Lenora the younger sister. This article claims she died but she did not. There was another sister who died at very early age and Lenora has been confused with her. Lenora did go on to marry and have children.

Another mistake is that Andrew went to Union authorities to allow David to bring his family to him. THis is not correct at all. When David did come back to bring his mother and sisters to Miss. there was no pass issued, from anyone. He came into LR and and they made one attempt to leave but turned back at DeValls Bluff.

I could go on about all the misinformation located in this article but it is an example of how too many times myth gets intermingled with fact and replaces fact. However, all of the facts I can add are 100% documented in the various primary documents such as Andrew and David's war time letters. These alone disspell much of the misinformation out there. Then there is the oral interview transcripts with SEnorah Dodd Booth by Dallas Herndon which tells of even more details on the story. The article follows the events fairly well but there is much that is just not fact as printed in the article on this site. Jim has addressed these and his book will be a much needed addition to tell the real story and dispell many of these incorrect statements found in numerous newspaper articles and other publications. I think it is the newspapers that have caused much of this because each year when we do the memorial, I give them the correct info but they always go back to their files and archives and regenerate the false information. Oh well, I am getting off my soapbox now and did not mean to preach but I have studied the Dodd story in detail now for 20 years and just cringe when the same myths continue to be promoted. SHow me the primary doucments that support it, I'll show mine and maybe we can see who is correct>