It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conscription
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:48 pm 

Posted by Fran Alverson Warren (no1fran@aol.com) on June 28, 2001 at 13:15:36:

Can anyone tell me when conscription went into effect in Arkansas. To be honest I am not really sure what it involved other than one was forced to join in the Civil War.

I had ancestors living in Crawford County, Arkansas. All three were brothers. Two of them joined the Confederate Army in June of 1862 but the other one didn't join at all until February of 1864 and he joined the Union Army. Can anyone shed some light on this? I would be appreciative to hear some facts or even some knowledgeable opinions.

Thanks
Fran

Post subject: Re: Conscription
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:49 pm 

Posted by Tom (tomezell@aristotle.net) on June 28, 2001 at 13:30:33:

In Reply to: Conscription posted by Fran Alverson Warren on June 28, 2001 at 13:15:36:

Conscription became pretty much universal throughout the South in late April, 1862 with the enactment of the Conscription Act. The boys didn't like it one bit... nearly all of them being within a month or two of having completed their year's term of service and looking forward to going back home to Arkansas. In addition to involuntarily extending all those currently in service for another two years the law made all males aged 18 to 45 subject to the draft, but provided exemptions for government employees, planters who owned 20 slaves or more (causing the Conscription Act to be more commonly known as the "twenty nigger law"), and allowing a draftee to avoid service by hiring a substitute to serve in his place for a fee of $300.

The primary author of the Conscription Act was a thus far obscure general staff officer named Robert E. Lee...

your pard,

Tom