All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General James Yell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:40 pm 

Posted by JOHN CATES (micates@mscc.net) on June 27, 2001 at 19:43:47:

CAN ANYONE PROVIDE INFORMATION ON GENERAL JAMES YELL OF ARKANSAS STATE FORCES

Post subject: Re: General James Yell
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:42 pm 

Posted by Bryan Howerton on June 27, 2001 at 20:50:19:

In Reply to: GENERAL JAMES YELL posted by JOHN CATES on June 27, 2001 at 19:43:47:

James Yell was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, March 10, 1811; died at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, September 5, 1867; Buried in Bellwood Cemetery, Pine Bluff. When Arkansas seceded, he was appointed major-general commanding "Army of Arkansas", consisting of two divisions of Arkansas State Troops. I don't know the date of his appointment. He was relieved of command on July 23, 1861, when the Governor agreed to turn over the State troops to the Provisional Army of the Confederate States. I'm unaware of any further military service by him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:43 pm 

osted by Doyle (jaysinis@cei.net) on June 28, 2001 at 08:27:32:

In Reply to: Re: GENERAL JAMES YELL posted by Bryan Howerton on June 27, 2001 at 20:50:19:

Bryan, I, like you, am unaware of any further Confederate Service of General James Yell. However, of interesting Note, when Colonel Powell Clayton's 5th Kansas Cavalry occupied Pine Bluff, General Yell's Home near the Jefferson County Courthouse was marked for special attention By Col. Clayton, according to his dispatches. General Yell by that time had retired to Waco, Texas. So one would wonder, Why would Col. Clayton have even known about General Yell concidering his limited service?

It appears, because of Clayton's attentions, that General Yell was known for his strong southern attitude and therefore targeted. It seems to indicate that General Yell may have been more active on the Political front with Confederate Senator Johnson, from Pine Bluff, that in the Military affairs, which we research so diligently.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:48 pm 

Posted by Bruce Allardice (bruce.allardice@westgroup.com) on June 28, 2001 at 11:47:48:

In Reply to: Re: GENERAL JAMES YELL posted by Doyle on June 28, 2001 at 08:27:32:

My book, "More Generals in gray" (LSU Press 1995) has a bio of General Yell. I've also been in touch with collatral relatives of his. His son Fountain Pitts Yell was colonel of the 26th AR.
General Yell evidently soured on the war early on. He moved his family to Texas and acted as attorney for people resisting the draft and impressment.
Powell Clayton could have heard about him any number of ways. Yell's political prominence (state seantor, ran for governor in 1856) or role at the secession convention, or his command of AR state forces in 1861. Clayton would have seen him as the leader of the Pine Bluff area secessionists, and father of an acting colonel.