It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MY NAME IS MARY SUTTER by Robin Oliveira
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:52 am 

MY NAME IS MARY SUTTER (Viking; On-Sale: May 17, 2010; $26.95) by Robin Oliveira is the epic story of a young woman who leaves her home in Albany to nurse the Civil War wounded, encountering prejudice, violence and devastation along the way, but through unwavering determination, becomes one of the nation’s first female doctors.

In this stunning historical novel, which opens on the eve of the Civil War, Mary Sutter is a brilliant, somewhat odd, yet remarkable young woman who has followed in her mother’s footsteps to become a skilled midwife, but dreams of becoming a surgeon. When Mary seeks admission to medical school, she finds herself rejected because of her sex. Determined to overcome prejudices against women in medicine—and eager to escape recent heartbreak—Mary travels to Washington, D.C. to help tend the legions of Civil War wounded.

Like Charles Frazier’s Cold Mountain and Robert Hicks’s The Widow of the South, MY NAME IS MARY SUTTER powerfully evokes the atmosphere of the period with rich historical details. But while Dorothea Dix, Abraham Lincoln and John Hay make cameo appearances throughout, the character that no one will be able to forget is Mary Sutter—a truly remarkable heroine whose unwavering determination and vulnerability will resonate with readers everywhere.

Books are available at all major retailers.

Attachments:
Mary Sutter jacket lo.res..jpg
Mary Sutter jacket lo.res..jpg [ 186.76 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]