It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Encampment: A Novel of Race & Reonciliation
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:51 pm 

Good day all!
I am Carl Eeman, a life-long Civil War buff from Ohio. My first novel was published in November. The history contained in Encampment is that in 1913 at Gettysburg, on the 50th anniversary of the battle there was a reunion of 54,000 CW veterans from both sides. The US Army took 2 years to get ready for them to come for 1 week. 200 reporters kept the telegraph office open around the clock filing stories in newspapers from Los Angeles to London. Each day over 100,000 civilians came, anxiously wondering if these old gents (average age 72; range: 65 to 112!) could reconcile between North and South. History says they did, helping heal the sectional division. History also records all those 150,000+ people were white.
My fiction is to ask: Suppose 5000 black veterans of the USCI had also attended (despite the secretary of the Army declaring the event "whites only")? Could their very presence have perhaps sparked a deeper understanding among the old guys, so that they might have worked through their hurts and their hates, and found a way not only to heal blue and gray but also black and white? It would have saved the country a lot of suffering and started that "post-racial society" about 95 years earlier.
Its available through the publisher here: http://blogs.wordalchemy.net/encampment/, or, of course, via amazon.com or through any bookseller that orders from Baker & Taylor. At the website are reviews and excerpts; we are still building in photos and links to the actual 1913 Encampment.
My thanks to Pris for the chance to post here.

Carl Eeman (eecarl@comcast.net)