Confederate History of Memphis
This bluff was fortified by General Pillow May 1862. Thirty-seven companies were equipped here for the Confederate service. The Confederate ram, Arkansas, one of the first iron clad battleships in the navy, was built and partially armored here, but fearing capture, she was sent down the river to be completed and was not ready for action at the time of the attack of the federal fleet June 6, 1862.
The Confederate fleet of 8 boats protected only by cotton bales and carrying 18 guns gallantly resisted this attack of 6 armored gun boats 4 rams and 20 mortar boats carrying 84 guns.
The engagement lasted 90 minutes and was the first battle between steam rams in history.
At dawn August 21, 1864, General N.B. Forrest made his grand strategic raid into Memphis, which was then held by 6 federal generals with 10,000 men; his object being to check the advance of the Federal Army into Mississippi. Arriving here with only 1500 picked men, spent 50 hours continuous marching. He sent this telegram "Forrest Holds Memphis" to the federal headquarters in Mississippi.
The Federal officers, taken by surprise, rushed from their bedrooms and secreted themselves about the city.
After spending two hours here, Forrest cut the wires, and left the city taking 500 prisoners, and large quantities of supplies. He loss was only 25 wounded and 9 killed, while the enemy's loss was 90 wounded and 30 killed.
President Davis was a resident of this city for 9 years after his release from prison.
Palms for the Southern Soldier;
Crowns for the Veteran's Head;
And loyal love and honor
For our Confederate Dead.
Erected by Confederate Dames Tyler Chapter
IMG_0912.JPG [ 74.4 KiB | Viewed 570 times ]